I rolled onto the site looked up at the truck and went. That will never work.
Let me back up a bit. I don't know who came out to do our bid or what planet he was from. It seemed (and this is a guess not neccesarily factually supported) like he was involved with the business previously and it had been sold to this new outfit.
That would explain the disconnect between what I was told by the estimater and what I was told later.
It took three frustrating, miserable weeks to even get them out there. When you look at it taking seven months that doesn't sound like a big deal but the first thing that needs to be done to start the process is a building permit and bids.
Three weeks lost waiting for a bid that held up the other bids. Too complicated to explain but it did. Add to that the week it took to find them on the Internet (while using my phone as a mobile hotspot) and I lost a month.
It was particularly frustrating because we were living in the camper, using a half destroyed bathroom in a very destroyed house while we both had lung infections.
I got so frustrated I spent hours trying to find another company that did the work in the area. I finally found one two days before these guys called to schedule the estimate. Turns out the other company was a flake too - they never got back to me about a bid.
Back to the estimater. He told me that they had concrete saws and that they could just cut out holes in the concrete to remove their beams. Not true. I had to build holes into the new concrete (see Walls). Fortunately I found that out before they built the walls wrong.
Then he said they would place the new beams when they took out the old ones. Also wrong. As a result I ended up scrambling around looking for someone to do it. (see Beams).
But the big one - the one that would not be found out until today - was the cribbing. He knew that if we were to place the cribbing -
pile of blocks that the house sits on after it's been jacked up - inside the basement we would have to bury them.
He told me they had concrete cribbing so I figured no problemo. I was going to have to fill, compact and test the basement and was not about to dig the cribbing back out after all that was done and the walls were poured.
They showed up with wood cribbing. And we're back to where I said. That will never work.